Nobu is a Japanese restaurant from the chef Nobu Matsuhisa who I've never heard of but then I'm guessing he's never heard of me either. The menu features seafood and sushi dishes with names that I'm certain are made up. I mean, sashimi salad, toro tartare with a black beret of caviar, and gen saba? Come on!
According to some of the reviews, the black cod in miso sauce is the signature dish of Nobu. The New York Times review said:
Here it is, a plump wedge of miso-glazed black cod, the culinary equivalent of a Cole Porter standard, covered and interpreted by so many artists that you may not recall where and when you experienced it first.
Or, as someone on yelp.com said in fewer words:
Get the Miso Cod...it is BAD ASS!
If like me you are not quite a fish eating person, don't worry. They appear to have quite a few meat dishes and vegetarian dishes in both the entrees and the sushi . Lots of tempura veggies to choose from as well as the chicken teriyaki and the vegetables in spicy garlic sauce. That last one might get me kicked to the hall for the rest of the night but still it sounds great.
My suggestion for my fellow diners is to look over the menu now to get an idea of what you want to order. With Isabella at the table, you don't want to be spending a lot of time looking at the damn menu. Oh, and if the dish looks challenging to pronounce, start practicing now. Call your local university Japanese department for help if you need to. That's what this time is for.
I'm going to sushi bootcamp. I have to learn to deal with the chewy part on the outside. The seaweed. And I have to brush up on my chopsticking. But I'm not allowed to have anything fishy until Nobu because inferior sushi might break my spirit.
ReplyDeleteThere's a possibility we'll be served a prix-fixe and have no say in what's dropped in front of us. And then there's something called a...a...omikase. Whatever.
Sushi Bootcamp. Duuuude.
And then there's something called a...a...omikase. Whatever.
ReplyDeleteSee? SEE? Totally made up words.
Oh, that menu looks like I have no clue what is on it but YUM!
ReplyDeleteThat's why we need to study now. We can't spend the whole evening deciphering the menu when Isabella is busy describing snail sex.
ReplyDeleteTruth time, babes. Do you really think you'll be able to eat?!
ReplyDeleteHeh. One of my co-workers suggested we eat before we go. Perhaps we should be prepared to just box up our meals and have them during what I'm sure will be our all night debrief/squeefest.
ReplyDeleteNo need to study...I'll go with the miso badass cod! heee
ReplyDeleteOrder it just like that.
ReplyDelete